Making Inferences from Statistics
I. Pre-Listening Exercise
II. Listening Exercise
III. Post-Listening Exercise
Check the meanings
of the following words and expressions:
1. Why is production output of LEDs and LED displays in China expected to reach a record 65 billion units in 2006 or 2007?
A. manufacturers with production bases in the Asia Pacific region
B. large-scale governmental initiatives.
C. 30 manufacturers in Taiwan that comprise the supplier base
2. Who leads global production of HB LEDs?
A. Hong Kong
3. What are Chinese and Taiwanese manufacturers aligning their chip LED production to?
A. the Industrial Technology Research Institute
B. the strong market demand from the portable devices sector
C. HB LEDs
4. What percentage does China and Taiwan account for in the global production of LED and LED displays?
A. over 25%
B. over 20%
C. over 15%
5. Why is production of LEDs and LED displays in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan expected to rise markedly in the next few years?
A. mainly owing to portable electronic devices
B. mainly owing to Taiwan’s market position in the global LED industry
C. mainly owing to the influx of overseas LED manufacturers
Write a paragraph that makes an inference from statistics regarding a product or service by following this structure:
1.?Briefly introduce a market trend. 簡述市場趨勢
2. Use statistics that reflect this market trend and its impact.運用反映市場趨勢的統計結果及其影響
3. State implications of those statistics. 統計結果的運用