Describing Organizational or Technical Needs
I. Pre-Listening Exercise
II. Listening Exercise
III. Post-Listening Exercise
Check the meanings
of the following words and expressions:
1. How can Taiwanese firms maintain their competitive advantage?
A. by forecasting market trends in the global semiconductor industry
B. by playing a leading role in global production
C. by investing continuously in research and development
2. What has expanded over the past two decades?
A. the semiconductor industry in Taiwan
B. the chipmaking sector
C. economies of scale in production
3. What causes suppliers to invest heavily in facilities, land and equipment?
A. increasing industrial output and revenues
B. economic growth without a clear marketing strategy
C. a competitive advantage using low-price strategies
4. How can one analyze how global market trends in the semiconductor industry influence the operating performance of Taiwan’s semiconductor industry?
A. based on total capital investment of the industry
B. based on the ability of administrators to further increase economic growth
C. based on an index of semiconductor equipment producers in Japan
5. How much has capital expenditure by the Asian semiconductor industry increased?
A. from 15% in 1999 to 28% in 2003, with a forecasted 30% in 2006
B. from 25% in 1999 to 38% in 2003, with a forecasted 40% in 2006
C. from 29% in 1999 to 36% in 2003, with a forecasted 42% in 2006
Write a paragraph that makes an inference from statistics regarding a product or service by following this structure:
1. Briefly introduce a technology sector or market niche.
2. Describe an external or internal factor affecting that sector or niche.
3. Introduce a specific problem(s) that hinders development of that sector or niche.
4. State the technical or marketing need that must be addressed to resolve this problem.